France Military News, Reports, Data, etc.


Jura

General
SNA-NG : nouvelles armes tactiques
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

is a blog post about new weaponry for the Barracudas; (I think I understood an automatic translation);

I missed a new sea-mine though, as in

Une nouvelle mine sous-marine à l’étude en France
Publié le 21/10/2013
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!


does it mean they don't have it?
 

Brumby

Major
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

·
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Naval Group rolled out first of 6
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Suffren-class attack submarines (SSN) in Cherbourg yesterday. Nice, but she’s no Astute
...

yeah I've heard of the 100 Years War so I can understand this tweet
I believe the tweet is not without merit.

The US conducted a study post Seawolf era in determining the appropriate displacement for its next SSN class which today is the Virginia. That study, revolved around three displacement bands and the associated capabilities that could be bundled within each band. The conclusion was that below 6000 tons displacement, it was just insufficiently sized relative to speed and weapons payload requirements. It is no coincidence that the Virginia has a submerged displacement of 7800 tons and the Astute between 7400 to 7800 tons. In comparison, the Barracuda is expected to displace around 5300 tons.

The reason displacement matters because in SSN design, approximately 90 % of the weight is taken up by configuration (hull) and machinery (reactor) leaving less than 10 % for weapons and systems. In other words, the lower the displacement the less relative room is available for weapons and systems. Higher speed requires more associated machinery and hence space It is about trade offs.

Barracuda will probably be very silent but will lack weapons load capacity and we already know it will be non VLS.
 

Jura

General
I believe the tweet is not without merit.

The US conducted a study post Seawolf era in determining the appropriate displacement for its next SSN class which today is the Virginia. That study, ...
the USN Virginia has nothing to do with the thousand-years rivarly between the UK and France, and the USN Virginia has nothing to do with an inept tweet I reposted Saturday at 11:28 AM
 

Pmichael

Junior Member
I believe the tweet is not without merit.

The US conducted a study post Seawolf era in determining the appropriate displacement for its next SSN class which today is the Virginia. That study, revolved around three displacement bands and the associated capabilities that could be bundled within each band. The conclusion was that below 6000 tons displacement, it was just insufficiently sized relative to speed and weapons payload requirements. It is no coincidence that the Virginia has a submerged displacement of 7800 tons and the Astute between 7400 to 7800 tons. In comparison, the Barracuda is expected to displace around 5300 tons.

The reason displacement matters because in SSN design, approximately 90 % of the weight is taken up by configuration (hull) and machinery (reactor) leaving less than 10 % for weapons and systems. In other words, the lower the displacement the less relative room is available for weapons and systems. Higher speed requires more associated machinery and hence space It is about trade offs.

Barracuda will probably be very silent but will lack weapons load capacity and we already know it will be non VLS.
And you can expect that France was runnign own studies to determine the perfect size class for their very own requirements.
 

TerraN_EmpirE

Tyrant King
Not really a surprise. The French preference is to use a Naval Fighter Type as it means they only need to open one production type. Naval fighters can operate from land bases easily where land optimized fighters can’t do the same from ship.
 

Top