UK Military News, Reports, Data, etc.


Mr T

Senior Member
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!


That took 5 seconds on Google.

Personally, I don't expect everyone to post a link every single time about something. I'll normally only ask for a link if I believed I was aware of something more authoritative /recent that contradicted what they said.
 
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!


...
Sep 17, 2017
"The Harpoon anti-ship missile was due to be retired from Royal Navy service in 2018, that is now understood to have changed.

Multiple sources this morning have reported that the missile has gained a reprieve.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
that senior sources informed them that the missles would remain in service at least until 2020. ..."
... etc. inside
Harpoon gains reprieve as decision to retire the Anti-Ship missile is deferred
September 17, 2017
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!



makes me wonder if those "sources" are from the Admiralty, or from the nearest whiskey bar
what applies here is my comment
"makes me wonder if those "sources" are from the Admiralty, or from the nearest whiskey bar"
 

TerraN_EmpirE

Tyrant King
Are you denying what I said?

You can research it yourself if you don't believe me.
It's just Jura being Jura, T, He at times is Skeptical to the point of being Cynical. He Won't believe that lasers are possible combat weapons until a ABL flies over his house and makes popcorn.
 
here comes an informative article British military equipment plan facing ‘significant affordability gap’ say Public Accounts Committee

May 11, 2018
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

The committee calculated an equipment plan funding deficit of at least £4.9bn and potentially as much as £20.8bn over the 10-year £179.7bn equipment budget.

The Ministry of Defence has put its faith in the Modernising Defence Programme to solve its affordability issues and to prepare for the continued challenges of a ‘fast-changing defence landscape’, including the UK’s capabilities for cyber, chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and electromagnetic attacks. The report released today however is highly sceptical that the Modernising Defence Programme will be able to return the Department to a balanced position. The report also warned that the equipment plan contains “no headroom” and leaves the UK “increasingly dependent on international allies”.

According to the report,
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
:

“The Department faces a significant affordability gap in its Equipment Plan for the next 10 years, but is unable to determine the size of the gap, thereby reducing its ability to make informed decisions about our national defence.

There is an affordability gap of at least £4.9 billion in the Plan, rising to a potential £20.8 billion if all identified financial risks materialise and no savings assumed in the Plan are achieved. Financial risk has increased since last year, and while the Department acknowledges that the affordability gap is in the billions of pounds, it is unable to quantify the size of the gap with any degree of precision. We are concerned by the Department’s vagueness and reluctance to acknowledge its full exposure, and by the Department seeming to question the accuracy of its own numbers when giving evidence.

The Department says it is confident that at end of the Modernising Defence Programme, with cost information anticipated in autumn 2018, it will have a “strategically affordable” Plan, but is unable to articulate clearly how this will be achieved.”

Meg Hiller, who chairs of the committee, said the government had also failed to report transparently:

“The MoD’s national security responsibilities give it a unique and critical place in the public sector but that is no excuse for a lack of rigour in its financial affairs. The MoD’s inability to better quantify that affordability gap has consequences not just for its confirmed spending plans, but also its ability to prepare for serious challenges in national defence.

The department must be more rigorous and realistic in its approach to costing its equipment plan. It also needs to be more open with parliament and the public about its finances, commitments and their costs to taxpayers.”

An MoD spokesperson said:

“We are committed to delivering large, complex and technologically challenging defence programmes as part of our £180bn plan to give our military the very best equipment. We recognise financial risk comes with that, but the potential affordability gap highlighted by this report reflects an unlikely, worst-case scenario in which all possibilities materialise.

We are on track to meet our £16bn savings target and will also review these recommendations as part of our Modernising Defence Programme, which aims to strengthen our armed forces in the face of intensifying threats.”
 
Mar 7, 2018
15 minutes ago
careful wording inside MoD announces it intends to order the seventh Astute class nuclear submarine
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
and Ministry of Defence awards BAE Systems £2.4bn for Royal Navy submarine programmes

May 14, 2018
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

BAE Systems has been awarded a £1.5bn contract for delivery of the seventh Astute class submarine and a further £900m for the next phase of the Dreadnought submarine programme.

Gavin Williamson announced these contracts today during a visit to the Company’s submarine site in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria. During his visit, the Defence Secretary named the seventh and final submarine in the Astute class as Agincourt as we reported
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

He also formally opened a new state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, marking the latest development in a major infrastructure investment programme at the Company’s Barrow site. Certain phases of construction for the Dreadnought class will take place at the new Central Yard Facility, which includes production, workshop and office facilities, measuring 180m long, 90m wide and 44m high.

Construction on the first of four new Dreadnought submarines started in October 2016 and this latest funding will support ongoing design and build activities, procurement of materials and investment in new and existing facilities for a further 12 months.

The Defence Secretary said:
“This multi-billion-pound investment in our nuclear submarines shows our unwavering commitment to keeping the UK safe and secure from intensifying threats. HMS Agincourt will complete the Royal Navy’s seven-strong fleet of hunter-killer attack subs, the most powerful to ever enter British service, whilst our nuclear deterrent is the ultimate defence against the most extreme dangers we could possibly face. Not only is this a massive boost for our armed forces, but it’s huge for Barrow, the heart of sub-building in this country. Today’s news supports around 8,000 BAE Systems submarine jobs, as well as thousands more in the supply chain, protecting prosperity and providing opportunity right across the country.”
Cliff Robson, BAE Systems Submarines Managing Director, said:
“Securing this latest funding for our submarines programmes is excellent news for BAE Systems and the 8,700 people in our Submarines business, as well as our local community in Barrow and the thousands of people across our UK supply chain who help deliver these nationally important programmes for the Royal Navy.
We continue to make progress on these highly complex and technical programmes and today’s announcements will allow us to move forward with greater certainty and stability.”

According to a BAE press release:
“The first three submarines in the Astute class – HMS Astute, HMS Ambush and HMS Artful – are already in service with the Royal Navy. Earlier funding allowed us to start work on the seventh submarine in 2014, while the fourth, fifth and sixth submarines are also under various stages of construction in Barrow having been previously awarded full contracts. At 97m long and displacing more than 7,400 tonnes, they are the largest and most powerful nuclear-powered attack submarines ever built for the Royal Navy.
Dreadnought is the programme to replace the four Vanguard class submarines, which carry the UK’s independent nuclear deterrent. Once built, they will measure 153.6m long, with a displacement of 17,200 tonnes. They are being delivered by the newly-formed Dreadnought Alliance, a joint management team established between the MOD, BAE Systems and Rolls-Royce.
The delivery of the Astute and Dreadnought programmes is a national endeavour with a supply base spanning the length and breadth of the UK. In 2017 alone, BAE Systems spent around £700m with more than 700 suppliers.”

To support the build of Dreadnought, the Barrow site is undergoing major redevelopment that will provide a range of new and upgraded capabilities, including an extension to the Devonshire Dock Hall, a 28,000m2 off-site logistics facility and a 8,000m2 Central Training Facility as well as the recently completed Central Yard Facility.
 
Today at 7:29 AM
Mar 7, 2018
and Ministry of Defence awards BAE Systems £2.4bn for Royal Navy submarine programmes

May 14, 2018
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
plus now noticed NavalToday story UK allocates funds for seventh Astute-class submarine ‘Agincourt’
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

The UK defense secretary is set to announce a £2.5bn investment for new Royal Navy submarines during his visit to BAE Systems’ shipyard in Barrow-in-Furness in Cumbria on Monday.

According to the UK defense ministry, the investment includes £1.5bn for the construction of the seventh Astute-class submarine while £960m will go into the development and construction of four nuclear-armed Dreadnought-class submarines.

In addition to announcing the funding for the final Astute-class submarine, defense secretary Gavin Williamson is expected to announce that the submarine will be named ‘Agincourt’. The submarine is being named after the Battle of Agincourt of 1415 and will be the sixth Royal Navy ship to bear the name.

“This multibillion-pound investment in our nuclear submarines shows our unwavering commitment to keeping the UK safe and secure from intensifying threats,” defense secretary Williamson will say.

“Not only is this a massive boost for our armed forces, but it’s huge for Barrow, the heart of sub-building in this country. Today’s news supports 8,000 BAE Systems’ submarine jobs, as well as thousands more in the supply chain, protecting prosperity and providing opportunity right across the country.”

The nuclear-powered Astute-class submarines are being built by BAE Systems in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria. Funds for the sixth unit in the class were approved in April 2017.

HMS Astute, HMS Artful and HMS Ambush are already in-service with the Royal Navy. Boats 5 and 6, Anson and Agamemnon, along with the Agincourt are in different stages of construction at the Barrow site.
 

Top