Taiwan' shipbuilder China Shipbuilding Corporation (CSBC) started construction today on a prototype submarine known as the Indigenous Defense Submarine (IDS). The move aims at renewing the submarine forces of the Republic of China (ROC) Navy while developing a domestic capability to produce submarines.
it says 8 subs will be ready by 2025 ... even one sub I highly doubt it will be ready by 2025
I smell a F-CK-1 submarine coming. American industry comes with a real turd to satisfy both US government and Taiwanese government requirements.
Building a submarine is an extremely complex endeavor. "About 60% of the technology is Taiwanese, and we'll rely on imports from the U.S., Europe and elsewhere for the other 40%," said Su Tzu-yun at Taiwan's Institute for National Defense and Security Research, adding that the finished product will be more sophisticated than the average submarine.
The AP report (I'll dig up the link) said that only about $500 million USD was spend on R&D, and the sub yard can't cost more that a couple times that amount.I imagine there's a pretty big development and R&D cost, being the first sub they're building. For example, setting up sub construction yards, large steel rollers... I'm not sure how much is in common with regular shipbuilding.
The AP report (I'll dig up the link) said that only about $500 million USD was spend on R&D, and the sub yard can't cost more that a couple times that amount.
I see that the new Australian Attack class submarine build cost for 12 units has jumped from $50 billion to $80 billion ($US56 billion).$16 billion (minimum) for eight SSKs?! WTF is the ROCN and Taipei smoking?