First stage of Iranian response to act of nuclear terrorism in Natanz:
- Natanz hosts 5000 IR-1 centrifuges and approx. 1000-2000 other more advanced variants such as IR-2m, IR-4, IR-6 and many others.
- The recent act of nuclear terrorism at Natanz only affected the old and relatively primitive IR-1 centrifuge designs.
- Iran will replace all the affected IR-1 centrifuges with newer, more advanced models (1000 more advanced centrifuges are already being installed).
- This will include the installation of many more IR-6 models that are 10x as powerful as the IR-1 models (by SWU capacity). NB. Under the JCPOA Iran is only permitted to operate IR-1 centrifuges. There are currently c. 200 IR-6 centrifuges operating in Natanz (these were not affected).
- Iran will enrich uranium to 60% for the first time from tomorrow. This will begin immediately and is a huge step beyond the current 20% limit. 60% enriched uranium is used in nuclear propulsion for warships and submarines. Iran recently announced a large project to develop nuclear propulsion and a lot is being invested into this project.