Yemen Crisis/Conflict & the "Decisive Storm" Coalition

Jura

General
Apr 5, 2019
let's wait and see what's next, after House votes to end support for Yemen war, sending bill to Trump’s desk
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
now
Trump Vetoes Measure to End US Involvement in Yemen War
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

President Donald Trump vetoed a resolution passed by Congress to end U.S. military assistance in Saudi Arabia's war in Yemen.

The veto -- the second in Trump's presidency -- was expected, and Congress lacks the votes to override it. But passing the never-before-used war powers resolution was viewed as a milestone for lawmakers, who have shown a renewed willingness to assert their war-making authority after letting it atrophy for decades under presidents from both parties.

"This resolution is an unnecessary, dangerous attempt to weaken my constitutional authorities, endangering the lives of American citizens and brave service members, both today and in the future," Trump wrote in explaining his Tuesday veto.

Congress has grown uneasy with Trump's close relationship with Saudi Arabia as he tries to further isolate Iran, a regional rival.

Many lawmakers also criticized the president for not condemning Saudi Arabia for the killing of Jamal Khashoggi, a Saudi who lived in the United States and had written critically about the kingdom. Khashoggi went into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last October and never came out. Intelligence agencies said Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman was complicit in the killing.

The U.S. provides billions of dollars of arms to the Saudi-led coalition fighting against Iran-backed rebels in Yemen. Members of Congress have expressed concern about the thousands of civilians killed in coalition airstrikes since the conflict began in 2014. The fighting in the Arab world's poorest country also has left millions suffering from food and medical care shortages and has pushed the country to the brink of famine.

Trump said the measure was unnecessary because, except for counterterrorism operations against Islamic State militants and al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, the United States is not engaged in hostilities in or affecting Yemen.

He said there are no U.S. military personnel in Yemen accompanying the Saudi-led coalition fighting Iran-backed Houthis, although he acknowledged that the U.S. has provided limited support to the coalition, including intelligence sharing, logistics support and -- until recently -- in-flight refueling of non-U.S. aircraft.

The president also said that the measure would harm bilateral relations and interferes with his constitutional power as commander in chief.

He said the U.S. is providing the support to protect the safety of more than 80,000 Americans who live in certain areas of the coalition countries subject to Houthi attacks from Yemen.

"Houthis, supported by Iran, have used missiles, armed drones and explosive boats to attack civilian and military targets in those coalition countries, including areas frequented by American citizens, such as the airport in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia," Trump said. "In addition, the conflict in Yemen represents a 'cheap' and inexpensive way for Iran to cause trouble for the United States and for our ally, Saudi Arabia."

House approval of the resolution came earlier this month on a 247-175 vote. The Senate vote last month was 54-46.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi issued a statement Tuesday night saying: "The conflict in Yemen is a horrific humanitarian crisis that challenges the conscience of the entire world. Yet the president has cynically chosen to contravene a bipartisan, bicameral vote of the Congress and perpetuate America's shameful involvement in this heartbreaking crisis."

Pelosi added: "This conflict must end, now. The House of Representatives calls on the president to put peace before politics, and work with us to advance an enduring solution to end this crisis and save lives."

Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va., said Trump's veto "shows the world he is determined to keep aiding a Saudi-backed war that has killed thousands of civilians and pushed millions more to the brink of starvation."

Kaine accused Trump of turning a blind eye to Khashoggi's killing and the jailing of women's rights activists in Saudi Arabia.

"I hope my colleagues will show we won't tolerate the Trump administration's deference to Saudi Arabia at the expense of American security interests by voting to override this veto," Kaine said.

The top Republican on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Rep. Michael McCaul of Texas, acknowledged the dire situation in Yemen for civilians, but spoke out in opposition to the measure when it was passed. McCaul said it was an abuse of the War Powers Resolution and predicted it could disrupt U.S. security cooperation agreements with more than 100 countries.

David Miliband, president of the International Rescue Committee, a humanitarian aid group, said, "This veto by President Trump is morally wrong and strategically wrongheaded. It sets back the hopes for respite for the Yemeni people, and leaves the U.S. upholding a failed strategy."

Trump issued his first veto last month on legislation related to immigration. Trump had declared a national emergency so he could use more money to construct a border wall. Congress voted to block the emergency declaration, and the president vetoed that measure.
 

gelgoog

Senior Member
Registered Member
From needing Congressional approval to start a war, to getting motioned by Congress to stop a war and ignoring them.
So much for the US Constitution, checks and balances, and other fluff like that.

An overreach of US executive power.
 
  • Like
Reactions: H2O

Jura

General
Yemen war: Houthi rebels claim mass capture of Saudi troops
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

  • 28 September 2019
and indeed noticed footage allegedly showing numerous POWs (or numerous walk-ons)
 

Jura

General
how ironic is the name of this thread:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

·
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

WOW: Houthi rebels released footage from their attack on Saudi troops inside Saudi province Najran. V
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
 

H2O

Junior Member
Registered Member
how ironic is the name of this thread:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

WOW: Houthi rebels released footage from their attack on Saudi troops inside Saudi province Najran. V
And many more attacks to come on Saudi soil. I can't see the House of Saud lasting much longer, even if MbS takes the throne.
 

Anlsvrthng

Senior Member
Registered Member
The Legio III Cyrenaica would destroy the modern Saudi army, in a matter of weeks, with swords and spears .
 

solarz

Brigadier
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!


Footage appears to show Canadian-made armoured vehicle captured by Yemen rebels in fighting with Saudis
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Updated: September 30, 2019

A screen grab from Al Masirah TV/Al Jazeera showing Saudi light armored vehicle captured by Houthi forces.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
PRINT
Yemen’s Houthi rebels have released video footage of the aftermath of a battle with Saudi forces which appears to show a captured Canadian-made light armoured vehicle.

The footage was released Sunday in what the rebels say started as an ambush inside Saudi Arabia but then turned into a major cross-border battle. The footage of the battle was shown on Houthi-run Al Masirah TV and Al Jazeera.

The rebels claimed that the attack killed or wounded 500 Saudi soldiers. Saudi Arabia has not acknowledged the fighting and the Houthi claims have not been independently verified. The footage shows the captured light armoured vehicle, another destroyed light armoured vehicle as well as armoured trucks provided to the Saudis by the U.S. company Oshkosh. The footage also showed Saudi troops who were taken prisoner.

Over the years, Saudi Arabia has purchased light armoured vehicles from Canada’s General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada in London, Ont. In 2014, the then Conservative government announced a deal worth an estimated $15 billion to sell Saudi Arabia more than 700 light armoured vehicles. That controversial deal was later approved by the Liberal government.

A Saudi-led coalition, which has been provided with arms and intelligence from the U.S. and other western nations, intervened in Yemen in 2015 after the Houthis overthrew the government. Saudi Arabia has faced severe criticism for its role in the ongoing war in Yemen, with allegations it has conducted unlawful airstrikes on civilians.

Besides the armoured vehicles, the video shows large amounts of captured small arms. It is not clear whether the Houthi forces took possession of the armoured vehicle or left it at the ambush site. Houthi spokesman Brig. Gen. Yahya Saree told Al Masirah TV that the captured soldiers were moved to “secure places.”

The fighting lasted for 72 hours, he added.

Doug Wilson-Hodge, spokesman for General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada, said the company is declining to comment on the footage.

Global Affairs Canada did not comment.

The Houthi rebels claimed more than 200 Saudi soldiers were killed in the battle. The fighting took place in the southern region of Najran.

The Liberal government launched a review of the light armoured vehicle contract after the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi inside the Saudi consulate in Turkey. Earlier this year a United Nations report determined that Saudi Arabia was responsible for the killing of Khashoggi who was a critic of that country’s regime.

A dozen organizations sent Prime Minister Justin Trudeau a letter earlier in August, questioning the status of the review and pointing out that no updates on progress have been provided. The lack of such information has brought “the sincerity of the effort into question,” according to the letter endorsed by organizations such as Oxfam Canada and Amnesty International.

Relations between Canada and Saudi Arabia soured last year after the Canadian government called for the release of two jailed Saudi human rights activists.

The Saudis have also fallen behind in their payments for the light armoured vehicles received from General Dynamics. It was revealed in December that the Saudis owed Canada more than $1 billion for vehicles already delivered.

In August, the Liberal government announced it would provide General Dynamics with a $650 million repayable loan. It also signed a $2 billion sole-source contract to purchase 360 additional light armoured vehicles from the company.

Industry representatives say that deal was designed to help the firm handle the decision by the Saudis to withhold payment for vehicles already delivered as well shore up Liberal election fortunes in London area ridings. The armoured vehicle project for the Canadian Army was originally announced by the Liberal government with an estimated cost between $500 million and $1.5 billion. The plan was to award the contract in 2023 after a competition. But that competition was jettisoned in favour of the sole-source deal with General Dynamics.

The company’s light armoured vehicle is the core of the Canadian Forces armoured vehicle fleet.

Last month Houthi forces took credit for launching drone and missile attacks on Saudi Arabia’s key oil processing facilities, causing significant damage. But the Saudis and the U.S. claimed that Iran and not the Houthis were behind the attack. Iran denied that claim.
Now this is hilarious. After much hypocritical hand-wringing, Canada sold Saudi Arabia a bunch of LAVs... only for them to fall into Yemen rebels' hands. To add insult to injury, the Saudis still owe Canada more than $1 billion for the LAVs.
 
Top