India's Serum Institute is producing a generic version of the Oxford University / AstraZeneca vaccine. That one entered limited Phase III trials in May in the United Kingdom and Brazil (involving a few thousand people).
Incidentally, the Serum Instituted has
- Vietnam’s health minister suggested that a new strain of coronavirus is behind its recent spike in cases.
- Each patient has been found to infect five to six people on average, he said, compared with a range of 1.8 to 2.2 before, Health Minister Nguyen Thanh Long said Sunday.
- The strain appears to be new to Vietnam but has been seen in the British Isles and Bangladesh.
- Viruses mutate over time, but scientists that does not necessarily result in a virus becoming more contagious or dangerous.
- Vietnam’s latest outbreak, first found in Da Nang on July 25, ended the country’s 99-day streak of no new cases. Vietnam has said its health system could not handle a mass outbreak.
- As of Monday morning, Vietnam had 621 confirmed infections and six deaths.