quick question: why China is parallel developing two mobile icbm (df-31ag and df-41) even if it has a very tiny nuclear arsenal (about 300 warheads in total)?
- China hasn't admitted to any numbers regarding its nuclear warheads. 300 to 400 is the figure given by the FAS (Federation of American Scientists) calculating the amount of Enriched U-235 and Pu-239 with China. They assume that (with the backing of intelligence reports, hopefully) China has stopped production of these enriched fissile materials.
- As for DF-31AG and DF-41 :
- The range of DF-41 is longer than DF-31AG.
- DF-41 has no submarine Launched twin (as of now) but DF-31 is coupled with JL-2. There are reports of improvements in SLBM ( JL-2B? ) The DF-31AG could reflect these improvements but still be limited by the size constraints of SLBM.
- The warhead miniaturization, decoy technology, evasive capabilities are continuously being improved. DF-41 could be cramming in the better tech.
- The size of DF-41. It is larger than DF-31AG.