Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37

one of the chinese war hero figure

This is a discussion on one of the chinese war hero figure within the Military History forums, part of the China Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by Finn McCool Yeah, it figures that they would have picked a guy who fought the Americans to ...

  1. #16
    Finn McCool's Avatar
    Finn McCool is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    California, or the internet
    Posts
    2,053

    Re: one of the chinese war hero figure

    Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool
    Yeah, it figures that they would have picked a guy who fought the Americans to make a movie about during that period. "Fight the evil capatilist American imperialists!" (Adoring crowd waves their Little Red Books and Chinese Flags)
    I was reffering to the era that the movie was made in (1950-1975) and the devotional Maoism, anti-Americanism and the Cultural Revolution that characterized that period. Making movies about that kind of a war (as opposed to something from Ancient China or the War against the Nationalists) suited the propaganda purposes of the CCP. I'm not saying its bas though.
    Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter.
    -Winston Churchill

  2. #17
    renmin's Avatar
    renmin is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    449

    Re: one of the chinese war hero figure

    Quote Originally Posted by T-U-P
    ha, i watched that movie a long time ago. the only thing i remembers is that the movie focuses more on the result and influence of his death rather than the death himself. He died fairly early in the movie and the rest of the movie is about how his daughter (i think...) speak of him through her songs. And his daughter went around to various corps to sing the song about his father's heroic action.

    i used to have a lot more movies like that, too bad i left all of them in china.
    and i haven't watched the other movie Red Guard mentioned, what's the chinese name for it? (in chinese plz)
    It was his sister. Not really a sister. The girl's father was captured by Nationalist soldiers during the civil war and she was taken care of by another man, that other man was also taking care of a boy and they became brothers and sisters. The girl meets her real father on the battlefield, her father still serves the PLA as a general.
    Oh and she not only sung, she was also a soldier and was fighting but mostly singing. The movie is black and white so it is pretty old.

  3. #18
    T-U-P's Avatar
    T-U-P is offline The Punisher
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,270

    Re: one of the chinese war hero figure

    Quote Originally Posted by renmin
    It was his sister. Not really a sister. The girl's father was captured by Nationalist soldiers during the civil war and she was taken care of by another man, that other man was also taking care of a boy and they became brothers and sisters. The girl meets her real father on the battlefield, her father still serves the PLA as a general.
    Oh and she not only sung, she was also a soldier and was fighting but mostly singing. The movie is black and white so it is pretty old.
    ah yes, it all makes sense now, memories are coming back to me now. i knew something didn't make sense when i said daughter... and i think she actually save some people as well. i remember a scene where there's a big freezing river or something and a guy fell into it, and she went there and saved him.

  4. #19
    PiSigma's Avatar
    PiSigma is offline "the engineer"
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Calgary/Edmonton Alberta Canada
    Posts
    665

    Re: one of the chinese war hero figure

    you guys all have crappy memory. the girl was adopted, he was not. and the girl is actually the daughter of a general that he served under. she is also a soldier, but her job is not to fight, but part of the entertainment/propaganda section of the army to raise moral and entertain.

  5. #20
    Kampfwagen's Avatar
    Kampfwagen is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    495

    Re: one of the chinese war hero figure

    [QUOTE=renmin]The guy was actually fighting the Americans in the Korean war. His troops were lost and instead of running away, he self destructed a bazooka on the incoming US infantry regiment killing himself and the army. QUOTE]

    The whole friggin' army? Damn...Give us a little credit, here!

    Attempts at humor asside, who played the americans? Did they get actual americans or did they just sort of half-ass their way out of that one like so many of these shows back in the fifties did (Not to say it was bad, but you really have to admit the cheese is everywhere in these sorts of films).

  6. #21
    Obcession is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    411

    Re: one of the chinese war hero figure

    May I remind you guys again it wasn't a bazooka it was a bangalore!!!

    No, not the whole friggin' army... Several men.

  7. #22
    renmin's Avatar
    renmin is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    449

    Re: one of the chinese war hero figure

    [QUOTE=Kampfwagen]
    Quote Originally Posted by renmin
    The guy was actually fighting the Americans in the Korean war. His troops were lost and instead of running away, he self destructed a bazooka on the incoming US infantry regiment killing himself and the army. QUOTE]

    The whole friggin' army? Damn...Give us a little credit, here!

    Attempts at humor asside, who played the americans? Did they get actual americans or did they just sort of half-ass their way out of that one like so many of these shows back in the fifties did (Not to say it was bad, but you really have to admit the cheese is everywhere in these sorts of films).
    Hey dude, watch your language! No they did not half "beep" their way out of it. the movie featuredd real westerners, Americans, not sure, but they were from the west. In films, involving the war against japan, real japanese people were used too. Many of these movies also feature "Han jian" or Chinese traitors which were common. Oh and I did not say the whole army, perhaps I should of been a bit more specific. What credit?! Give who credit?

  8. #23
    Kampfwagen's Avatar
    Kampfwagen is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    495

    Re: one of the chinese war hero figure

    Ahem, maybe I should explain this a bit.

    Being a U.S citizen, that would make the U.S Army my nations army. If they wiped out the whole army, then that would mean that we did poorly. Thus saying 'Give us at least a little credit' for Korea. In all honesty, a light hearted joke. But I suppouse that I made it a bit to vague and that it might be taken too seriously. I apologize, renmin.

    By half-...er....'bleepery', I meant that alot of films back in the fifities did not employ actors of the ethnicities they portrayed, often for budget reasons or employment practicies of the time. For instance, I remember a movie from the fifties made in America where the star charicter, Humphrey Bogart-ish style of speech and all, was suppoused to be portraying a Mexican. A more modern example I can think of is 'The Beast Of War', which is a movie that takes place during the Afghan-Russian war. The Afghans are portrayed faithfuly, but the Russians are American actors with American accents and the only Russian ever spoken is when the charicters say each other's names. Similar to English accents being used in 'Enemy at the Gates' for both German and Russian actors. These would normaly would not be faulted except for the fact that both feature people speaking in Arabic and German, but neither have Russian accented or Russian speaking Russians.

    Sorry, I went off on a bit of a rant there. But I hope it illustrates my point.

    Anyway, sorry if I offended anyone. I did not mean to insult the film. Even with these 'budget tactics', many of these films are great ones.

  9. #24
    renmin's Avatar
    renmin is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    449

    Re: one of the chinese war hero figure

    Quote Originally Posted by Kampfwagen
    Ahem, maybe I should explain this a bit.

    Being a U.S citizen, that would make the U.S Army my nations army. If they wiped out the whole army, then that would mean that we did poorly. Thus saying 'Give us at least a little credit' for Korea. In all honesty, a light hearted joke. But I suppouse that I made it a bit to vague and that it might be taken too seriously. I apologize, renmin.

    By half-...er....'bleepery', I meant that alot of films back in the fifities did not employ actors of the ethnicities they portrayed, often for budget reasons or employment practicies of the time. For instance, I remember a movie from the fifties made in America where the star charicter, Humphrey Bogart-ish style of speech and all, was suppoused to be portraying a Mexican. A more modern example I can think of is 'The Beast Of War', which is a movie that takes place during the Afghan-Russian war. The Afghans are portrayed faithfuly, but the Russians are American actors with American accents and the only Russian ever spoken is when the charicters say each other's names. Similar to English accents being used in 'Enemy at the Gates' for both German and Russian actors. These would normaly would not be faulted except for the fact that both feature people speaking in Arabic and German, but neither have Russian accented or Russian speaking Russians.

    Sorry, I went off on a bit of a rant there. But I hope it illustrates my point.

    Anyway, sorry if I offended anyone. I did not mean to insult the film. Even with these 'budget tactics', many of these films are great ones.
    No need to be sorry, no one was offended . In some Chinese films, chinese played japanese or american, but others had foreign actors. Im a US citizen too. Im born here. Fact is, no one won the Korean war. Its half and half. I did not meen the whole army, i should of been more specific. I meant to say that wang blew up a portion of the army. Since the death of her brother the she had always wanted to perform some sorta heroic deed. During half the movie, her real father tells her she doesnt half to sacrifice her life to be a hero.

  10. #25
    Finn McCool's Avatar
    Finn McCool is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    California, or the internet
    Posts
    2,053

    Re: one of the chinese war hero figure

    Renmin you said "Han Jian" meant Chinese traitors. I'm pretty sure Han means Chinese, so does Jian mean traitor? If so, why is the J-10 called the Jian the "J-10 Traitor" is not a very good name for a fighter plane. Of course this could be one of Mandarin's charming idosyncrasies, like spelling the words horse and mother the same way and differntiating through intonation.
    Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter.
    -Winston Churchill

  11. #26
    renmin's Avatar
    renmin is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    449

    Re: one of the chinese war hero figure

    Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool
    Renmin you said "Han Jian" meant Chinese traitors. I'm pretty sure Han means Chinese, so does Jian mean traitor? If so, why is the J-10 called the Jian the "J-10 Traitor" is not a very good name for a fighter plane. Of course this could be one of Mandarin's charming idosyncrasies, like spelling the words horse and mother the same way and differntiating through intonation.
    lol. As you know, there are diferrent "tones" in CHinese pingyin. for the jian is J-10, it means attack, the other in Han "jian" jian itself does not really mean anything, but when combined with Han it means a chinese person who helps the bad guys or has betrayed his/her country. Han does indeed mean chiense. mother and horse are not spelled the same way. In mother, the horse charicter is combined with the female radical. This is because mother is pernounced the same way as horse but with a different tone. Ok, enough with the Chinese leasons, lets get back to the movie.
    Last edited by renmin; 05-28-2006 at 04:42 PM.

  12. #27
    Kampfwagen's Avatar
    Kampfwagen is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    495

    Re: one of the chinese war hero figure

    I dont know about you guys, But J-10 'Traitor' does sound pretty menacing, if not a bit suspicious.

  13. #28
    mocana is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1

    Re: one of the chinese war hero figure

    "han jian"means "汉奸" in chinese.
    "j-10" is "歼十" in chinese,"歼十"means fighter plane 10."十"is ten .
    "奸"and "歼" have same pronunciation,but they have different means.

  14. #29
    The_Zergling's Avatar
    The_Zergling is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    953

    Re: one of the chinese war hero figure

    Quote Originally Posted by mocana
    "han jian"means "汉奸" in chinese.
    "j-10" is "歼十" in chinese,"歼十"means fighter plane 10."十"is ten .
    "奸"and "歼" have same pronunciation,but they have different means.
    It's true they are completely different words in Simplified Chinese, even if they share the same pronunciation... unfortunately for those using Pinyin I don't think there's any visible difference, hence the confusion.

  15. #30
    erlongshan's Avatar
    erlongshan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7

    Re: one of the chinese war hero figure

    Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool View Post
    Was Wang Cheng fighting the Japanese, the Nationalists, the Vietnamese or the Americans in Korea?
    Americans

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •