Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 341
Like Tree666Likes

Philippines Vs Taiwan... Troubled Waters

This is a discussion on Philippines Vs Taiwan... Troubled Waters within the Members' Club Room forums, part of the China Defense & Military category; I'm starting to suspect the Philippines law enforcement agencies are filled dodgy unprofessionals. The important thing now for them is ...

  1. #61
    getready is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Australia/Singapore
    Posts
    228

    Smile Re: Philippines Vs Taiwan... Troubled Waters

    I'm starting to suspect the Philippines law enforcement agencies are filled dodgy unprofessionals. The important thing now for them is to offer apology and compensation. It is the right thing.

    China mainland government need not get involved too much. It's not their problem. Let ma yingjiu deal with it. Or if his past behavior is any clue, do nothing much.

  2. #62
    plawolf's Avatar
    plawolf is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,119

    Re: Philippines Vs Taiwan... Troubled Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by siegecrossbow View Post
    I am afraid that this is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to nastiness in the disputed waters. There are rumors from Taiwanese BBS that the Filipino navy sometimes recruit former pirates, which may account for the lack of professionalism during this incidient.
    BBS are also notorious for exaggerations or even blatant fabrications. Lets see a credible source or it didn't happen.
    Jeff Head, perfume and Equation like this.

  3. #63
    airsuperiority's Avatar
    airsuperiority is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,598

    Re: Taiwan Vs Philippines...Troubled Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinsMace View Post
    I notice that seems to be characteristic of the anti-China side. They'll say anything even knowing what they said might be proven wrong at any time. Just like with the claim of ramming first came up, I thought that can easily be confirmed if one took place and was awaiting pictures which I knew they would come. But knowing the truth isn't what's motivating them.
    Does the Philippines (the country and government, not the people) have an actual hatred for Chinese in general? Putting Taiwan into the count, we will see a list of "nations"(nations as in cultural nations) that the Philippines have some major issues with: China, Hong Kong, Taiwan. China being our infamous dispute that they have; Hong Kong in terms of the unforgettable hostage crisis. It couldn't have been worse. And Taiwan of course for this.

    And as for manillaboy..I've seen some of his biased postings in the past. He's quite anti-China and actually quite pro-Philippines. It's just that after some initial postings he had shifted most of this time posting Philippines news on this forum. Hope he doesn't mind me calling him out.

    Finally, I don't know how they can just randomly blurt out cover stories without realizing they are backtracking their words every minute. No one will believe a fishing boat is aggressive especially if you disabled its engine. Popping the boat with lead and killing its engine and then killing the captain..no authorities are justified in any of such reckless actions. But then given again the Philippines is extremely corrupted, I won't be surprised with the quality of its government and its units.
    perfume, Equation and Lion like this.

  4. #64
    plawolf's Avatar
    plawolf is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,119

    Re: Taiwan Vs Philippines...Troubled Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by airsuperiority View Post
    Does the Philippines (the country and government, not the people) have an actual hatred for Chinese in general? Putting Taiwan into the count, we will see a list of "nations"(nations as in cultural nations) that the Philippines have some major issues with: China, Hong Kong, Taiwan. China being our infamous dispute that they have; Hong Kong in terms of the unforgettable hostage crisis. It couldn't have been worse. And Taiwan of course for this.

    And as for manillaboy..I've seen some of his biased postings in the past. He's quite anti-China and actually quite pro-Philippines. It's just that after some initial postings he had shifted most of this time posting Philippines news on this forum. Hope he doesn't mind me calling him out.

    Finally, I don't know how they can just randomly blurt out cover stories without realizing they are backtracking their words every minute. No one will believe a fishing boat is aggressive especially if you disabled its engine. Popping the boat with lead and killing its engine and then killing the captain..no authorities are justified in any of such reckless actions. But then given again the Philippines is extremely corrupted, I won't be surprised with the quality of its government and its units.
    The only consistent thing about all recent government statements from the Philippines wrt to international disputes relating to the greater Chinese territories is their backtracking and changing stories.

    Its almost become a given that the first thing the Philppines government has to say about any major international event will be different from the later versions. Not necessarily wrong mind you, just different.

    Just think back to the Scarborough Shoal stand off. The original Phlippines statement was that one of their MPAs spotted the Chinese fishing boats in the shoal and a warship was dispatched. That was later changed to the warship detected the Chinese ships all by itself and went to investigate. But because the dispute was with China, all the western media just turned a blind eye to the Philippines' flip flopping and killed all reference to their original statement and just kept diligently repeating the Philippines official line as obediently as you please.
    Player 0 and Equation like this.

  5. #65
    AssassinsMace's Avatar
    AssassinsMace is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,533

    Re: Taiwan Vs Philippines...Troubled Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by airsuperiority View Post
    Does the Philippines (the country and government, not the people) have an actual hatred for Chinese in general? Putting Taiwan into the count, we will see a list of "nations"(nations as in cultural nations) that the Philippines have some major issues with: China, Hong Kong, Taiwan. China being our infamous dispute that they have; Hong Kong in terms of the unforgettable hostage crisis. It couldn't have been worse. And Taiwan of course for this.

    And as for manillaboy..I've seen some of his biased postings in the past. He's quite anti-China and actually quite pro-Philippines. It's just that after some initial postings he had shifted most of this time posting Philippines news on this forum. Hope he doesn't mind me calling him out.

    Finally, I don't know how they can just randomly blurt out cover stories without realizing they are backtracking their words every minute. No one will believe a fishing boat is aggressive especially if you disabled its engine. Popping the boat with lead and killing its engine and then killing the captain..no authorities are justified in any of such reckless actions. But then given again the Philippines is extremely corrupted, I won't be surprised with the quality of its government and its units.
    Depends on how you look at it. The Philippines President is on the high end of corrupt on the Filipino scale so he's been covering up and using the tactic of distraction like you see with this incident. I believe he was a former actor? So he knows how to play things up. He's turned to anti-China alarmist to keep the Filipinos from paying attention to his corruption. Personally, the ones I know are nice. But they have their nationalists also. They tend to exploit situations for their gain.

  6. #66
    joshuatree is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,139

    Re: Philippines Vs Taiwan... Troubled Waters

    Frigate, helicopters accompany patrol

    Jang De-hau (張德皓), director of the Coast Guard Administrationís Southern Coastal Patrol Office, said that if coast guard ships spotted the Philippine vessel that opened fire on a Taiwanese fishing boat on Thursday, killing a member of its crew, it would be seized.

    Doubt we'll see MCS-3001 in those waters any time soon. About 44+ hours left and we'll see what direction this incident will take.
    Equation likes this.

  7. #67
    siegecrossbow's Avatar
    siegecrossbow is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cedar Park, Texas
    Posts
    2,775

    Re: Philippines Vs Taiwan... Troubled Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by plawolf View Post
    BBS are also notorious for exaggerations or even blatant fabrications. Lets see a credible source or it didn't happen.
    To be fair, law enforcement in third world countries in general aren't much better than the average thugs. Fishermen from both the Mainland and Taiwan typically fear being essentially taken hostage by South East Asian maritime patrol since their boats and equipments are prohibitively expensive. Their families often have to fundraise in order to "buy" their loved ones back.
    cn_habs, Equation and bd popeye like this.
    Please visit http://www.chinesedefence.com/forums/f17/thread-translated-articles-658/ for translated Chinese military articles, news, and forum posts.

  8. #68
    mr.bean is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    159

    Re: Philippines Vs Taiwan... Troubled Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by getready View Post
    I'm starting to suspect the Philippines law enforcement agencies are filled dodgy unprofessionals. The important thing now for them is to offer apology and compensation. It is the right thing.

    China mainland government need not get involved too much. It's not their problem. Let ma yingjiu deal with it. Or if his past behavior is any clue, do nothing much.
    you don't need to suspect at all, there is a reason why those ethnic Chinese pinoys (who are the favorite targets of domestic kidnapping because of their wealth) DO NOT REPORT TO POLICE when they get kidnapped. its because the police are sometimes the kidnappers themselves or b) they are so incompetent you will be surely dead anyways with police help!

  9. #69
    AssassinsMace's Avatar
    AssassinsMace is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,533

    Re: Philippines Vs Taiwan... Troubled Waters

    I've read that the video of the incident was leaked so we should be seeing it soon. It sounds like it's not in The Philippines favor.
    Equation likes this.

  10. #70
    cn_habs's Avatar
    cn_habs is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    507

    Re: Philippines Vs Taiwan... Troubled Waters

    What a screw-up of epic proportions by the Filipinos again!

    First we had witnessed their "competent" SWAT team and then the Scarborough standoff and now they couldn't even get their story right without backtracking. They can't even do PR right!
    MwRYum, Equation and Player 0 like this.

  11. #71
    MwRYum's Avatar
    MwRYum is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,132

    Re: Philippines Vs Taiwan... Troubled Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by cn_habs View Post
    What a screw-up of epic proportions by the Filipinos again!

    First we had witnessed their "competent" SWAT team and then the Scarborough standoff and now they couldn't even get their story right without backtracking. They can't even do PR right!
    As much as the "pay in peanuts you gets monkeys" kind of deal, they would never give a damn until Uncle Sam force them to do something to mend the situation.

    Can't expect China to do any more then they already doing either, given Taiwan would forfeit its position on Diaoyu Island to Japan with that "fishing treaty", even if China tries to help it'd only stir up a mess in Taiwan.

  12. #72
    SteelBird's Avatar
    SteelBird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,888

    Re: Philippines Vs Taiwan... Troubled Waters

    See a TV program "海峡两岸" last night that Ma Yingjeou, Taiwan's president, has issued an 72 hours ultimatum that the Philippines must apologize. Do you think that this would ever happen? I think it's very hard, because if the Philippines do apologize means that it's admitting guilty, and the whole country would be faceless.
    Equation likes this.
    人生得意需盡歡,莫舉金尊空對月

  13. #73
    siegecrossbow's Avatar
    siegecrossbow is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cedar Park, Texas
    Posts
    2,775

    Re: Philippines Vs Taiwan... Troubled Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBird View Post
    See a TV program "海峡两岸" last night that Ma Yingjeou, Taiwan's president, has issued an 72 hours ultimatum that the Philippines must apologize. Do you think that this would ever happen? I think it's very hard, because if the Philippines do apologize means that it's admitting guilty, and the whole country would be faceless.
    Unfortunately I think the best we can hope for is an nominal apology. The Filipinos will probably not pay reparations to the fisherman's family.

    On the plus side, I read that the captain of the ship involved in the attack got sacked two days ago.
    bd popeye, Equation and SteelBird like this.
    Please visit http://www.chinesedefence.com/forums/f17/thread-translated-articles-658/ for translated Chinese military articles, news, and forum posts.

  14. #74
    Quickie's Avatar
    Quickie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,881

    Re: Philippines Vs Taiwan... Troubled Waters

    I read in the news yesterday that the Phillipines head of coastguard felt sorry for the death of the fishermen but that he will not apologize for it. What? With this kind of official, you now know why his subordinates acted the way they did.
    Equation likes this.

  15. #75
    solarz's Avatar
    solarz is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,472

    Re: Philippines Vs Taiwan... Troubled Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by siegecrossbow View Post
    Unfortunately I think the best we can hope for is an nominal apology. The Filipinos will probably not pay reparations to the fisherman's family.

    On the plus side, I read that the captain of the ship involved in the attack got sacked two days ago.
    I've been reading some chinese-language sources, both from TW and Mainland. Ma already has a strike against him in the typhoon disaster a few years back. If he appears weak in this incident, he's gonna be in a *lot* of political trouble.
    Equation likes this.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. USN returning to Philippines?
    By bd popeye in forum World Armed Forces
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-26-2012, 12:35 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 12:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •