Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 74
Like Tree96Likes

training exercise HK Oct 2012-combined force

This is a discussion on training exercise HK Oct 2012-combined force within the Army forums, part of the China Defense & Military category; A.jpg B.jpg C.jpg D.jpg E.jpg Some CQB training in HK. This city is easy to invade but hard to defend....

  1. #1
    aquauant is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    103

    training exercise HK Oct 2012-combined force

    A.jpg

    B.jpg

    C.jpg

    D.jpg

    E.jpg

    Some CQB training in HK. This city is easy to invade but hard to defend.

  2. #2
    solarz's Avatar
    solarz is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,871

    Re: training exercise HK Oct 2012-combined force

    Did they evacuate parts of a residential area for the exercise?

    And who would want to invade Hong Kong?

  3. #3
    aquauant is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    103

    Re: training exercise HK Oct 2012-combined force

    Quote Originally Posted by solarz View Post
    Did they evacuate parts of a residential area for the exercise?

    And who would want to invade Hong Kong?

    It was conducted in CQB range.

    In 17th century, the pirates raid villages. Villages each had their defensive wall.

    In Qing dynasty, chinese garrison stationed in now Kowloon city to defend possible invaders, presumably western powers. Forts were built. One can still see the cannons used at the time in the museum.

    After opium wars , uk fortified hk, positioned artillery nests at east-west ends of the harbors, not to guard aganist Qing, but other colonial powers.

    In WWII, Japanese invades from north.

    In the 60s, during cultural revolution, british was worried that the red guards or Chinese military will retake hk. Mines were layed in part of the border. Tanks were stationed....

    Now, Chinese garrison has air, land and sea assets to defend whoever the next invaders. During Hu's visit, we can see we even have air-defense weapn. I dont know who will invade HK. But I can see the PLA take it seriously.

    Of course, garrison in hk whether uk or chinese also take on other duties, like internal security, search&rescue and disaster relief.

  4. #4
    MwRYum's Avatar
    MwRYum is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,018

    Re: training exercise HK Oct 2012-combined force

    Quote Originally Posted by solarz View Post
    Did they evacuate parts of a residential area for the exercise?

    And who would want to invade Hong Kong?
    No, they got a MOUT training facility in HK for that; and there's no way they'd conduct trainings in real urban areas - if a routine change of guard convoy, vehicles with no MG mounted can cause panic and irresponsible media fan the flame, what kind of panic it would cause if they do train in "real world"?

    As for the "who'd invade HK" question...if what sparks your question is this exercise, then perhaps it not meant for invaders but "potential insurgents". Probably not enough to get air by CNN or BBC, but recently some high profile mainland officials are voicing concerns over "separatist movements" in HK, most profiling by those who, since last year, begin to brandish the Union Jack and HK colonial era colors in many anti-government protests, plus displaying slogans with explicit intent to insult mainland Chinese in various demonstrations...local news media outlets deemed this exercise, announced at such time, meant to sent a "message" to anyone in HK who actually think PRC would tolerate their monkey acts.
    airsuperiority likes this.

  5. #5
    airsuperiority is offline Banned Idiot
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,958

    Re: training exercise HK Oct 2012-combined force

    Quote Originally Posted by MwRYum View Post
    No, they got a MOUT training facility in HK for that; and there's no way they'd conduct trainings in real urban areas - if a routine change of guard convoy, vehicles with no MG mounted can cause panic and irresponsible media fan the flame, what kind of panic it would cause if they do train in "real world"?

    As for the "who'd invade HK" question...if what sparks your question is this exercise, then perhaps it not meant for invaders but "potential insurgents". Probably not enough to get air by CNN or BBC, but recently some high profile mainland officials are voicing concerns over "separatist movements" in HK, most profiling by those who, since last year, begin to brandish the Union Jack and HK colonial era colors in many anti-government protests, plus displaying slogans with explicit intent to insult mainland Chinese in various demonstrations...local news media outlets deemed this exercise, announced at such time, meant to sent a "message" to anyone in HK who actually think PRC would tolerate their monkey acts.
    Well-said, and it gets dumb. Originally it's just some people trolling around during the protests, but CCP took it too seriously. Sometimes CCP really suck at identifying something that's a real threat vs people being stupid...and of course taking it overly serious to the point of needing to respond with a military drill to deliver your point just make you look even more retarded than the trolls. CCP should know, the fact that the Brits definitely won't step in even if we hand our asses back to them should be enough of an evidence nothing will ever happen. And not to mention most HK people disagree with an independent Hong Kong separate from the China. We still consider ourselves Chinese..it's just we always say "we're from Hong Kong/Hong Kong people" because we're from this place where freedom and justice exists.

    I do wonder if in times of war, what does Hong Kong pose as in terms of target value, cuz Imo I can only see this city neutral like Singapore and Switzerland,
    Last edited by airsuperiority; 10-27-2012 at 07:10 PM.

  6. #6
    jobjed is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    509

    ¦^��: Re: training exercise HK Oct 2012-combined force

    Quote Originally Posted by airsuperiority View Post
    Sometimes CCP really suck at identifying something that's a real threat vs people being stupid...
    http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ate-obama.html

    I laughed my ass off after reading this.

  7. #7
    MwRYum's Avatar
    MwRYum is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,018

    Re: ¦^��: Re: training exercise HK Oct 2012-combined force

    Quote Originally Posted by jobjed View Post
    http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ate-obama.html

    I laughed my ass off after reading this.
    C'mon, you do remember that Lincoln and JFK died by assassin's bullet, right? The US Secret Service and FBI have no luxury to take things like that lightly. Arrest that girl and grill her for 48 hours should sweat some common sense into her.

    Quote Originally Posted by airsuperiority View Post
    Well-said, and it gets dumb. Originally it's just some people trolling around during the protests, but CCP took it too seriously. Sometimes CCP really suck at identifying something that's a real threat vs people being stupid...and of course taking it overly serious to the point of needing to respond with a military drill to deliver your point just make you look even more retarded than the trolls. CCP should know, the fact that the Brits definitely won't step in even if we hand our asses back to them should be enough of an evidence nothing will ever happen. And not to mention most HK people disagree with an independent Hong Kong separate from the China. We still consider ourselves Chinese..it's just we always say "we're from Hong Kong/Hong Kong people" because we're from this place where freedom and justice exists.
    Dumb? Nah, it gets dumber by the minute...during today's weekly public forum (live televised by local TV) the topic is none other than this, what got it extra "hot" were 2 of the guests, one is a mid-level mainland official that deal with China-Hong Kong affairs, and the other is one of those "separatist movement" demonstration organizers. Things got heated up when the official condemned the demonstrators for their "acts of high treason", HK should legislate against such acts and the offenders' citizenship should be revoked; the "separatist movement" demonstration organizer trolled back by brandishing his passport and other documents, demanding the official to have his citizenship revoke on the spot...

    The thing that most people in HK might not realized is, ever since the Qin Dynasty, central-ruling government is a goal that all subsequent dynasties pursues if not enact with almost single-minded brutality, the only exception would be when the central government was too weak to enforce such control...those dumbass in HK are doing nothing short of openly challenging this golden rule.

    While I'd never expect those weenies could actually do anything more than verbally insult mainland China, but I'm afraid if nobody plug up those pieholes mainland gov't would've no choice but to take it seriously and decided to snuff such "insurrection" at the bud, in short HK as a whole will be burned by the monkey acts of those idiots, because we "need to respect their freedom of speech".
    Last edited by MwRYum; 10-28-2012 at 08:30 AM.
    airsuperiority likes this.

  8. #8
    no_name is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    2,488

    Re: training exercise HK Oct 2012-combined force

    I doubt the same weenies would care enough to go voting if they were in some other democratic countries.
    MwRYum likes this.

  9. #9
    MwRYum's Avatar
    MwRYum is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,018

    Re: training exercise HK Oct 2012-combined force

    Quote Originally Posted by no_name View Post
    I doubt the same weenies would care enough to go voting if they were in some other democratic countries.
    They'd defend their acts of non-participation because "the election system in HK isn't fair and non-universal suffrage", but judging the level of turn-outs in the last general election, probably the most hotly contested one since the handover, those weenies knows only whining and insulting Beijing.

    They just have no idea the traditional train-of-thought for Beijing is that most of the time they adopt the "worst case scenario" portfolio, so this is not just mid-level mainland official shouting into the bullhorn, those decision makers have read about it and don't think it's funny, not necessary that they've made up their mind (we'll know after the change-of-guard in November), but even if Beijing do "misjudge" the situation as something as severe as "separatist movement" is alive and strong in HK, then it's all the "insurgents" faults, because the kind of slogan they display could only lead to one conclusion.
    airsuperiority likes this.

  10. #10
    no_name is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    2,488

    Re: training exercise HK Oct 2012-combined force

    Maybe Beijing is just on higher sense of alertness because heh, a lot has happened this year and it's also the change of guard year.

  11. #11
    MwRYum's Avatar
    MwRYum is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,018

    Re: training exercise HK Oct 2012-combined force

    Quote Originally Posted by no_name View Post
    Maybe Beijing is just on higher sense of alertness because heh, a lot has happened this year and it's also the change of guard year.
    More like they finally have enough of this crap, and when the message is explicitly a separatist one, that's something Beijing would never take it lightly.

  12. #12
    solarz's Avatar
    solarz is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,871

    Re: training exercise HK Oct 2012-combined force

    Eh.... my question was rhetorical. But it's nice to see it sparked a whole line of speculation on a HK secessionist movment...

  13. #13
    airsuperiority is offline Banned Idiot
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,958

    Re: ¦^��: Re: training exercise HK Oct 2012-combined force

    Quote Originally Posted by MwRYum View Post
    C'mon, you do remember that Lincoln and JFK died by assassin's bullet, right? The US Secret Service and FBI have no luxury to take things like that lightly. Arrest that girl and grill her for 48 hours should sweat some common sense into her.



    Dumb? Nah, it gets dumber by the minute...during today's weekly public forum (live televised by local TV) the topic is none other than this, what got it extra "hot" were 2 of the guests, one is a mid-level mainland official that deal with China-Hong Kong affairs, and the other is one of those "separatist movement" demonstration organizers. Things got heated up when the official condemned the demonstrators for their "acts of high treason", HK should legislate against such acts and the offenders' citizenship should be revoked; the "separatist movement" demonstration organizer trolled back by brandishing his passport and other documents, demanding the official to have his citizenship revoke on the spot...

    The thing that most people in HK might not realized is, ever since the Qin Dynasty, central-ruling government is a goal that all subsequent dynasties pursues if not enact with almost single-minded brutality, the only exception would be when the central government was too weak to enforce such control...those dumbass in HK are doing nothing short of openly challenging this golden rule.

    While I'd never expect those weenies could actually do anything more than verbally insult mainland China, but I'm afraid if nobody plug up those pieholes mainland gov't would've no choice but to take it seriously and decided to snuff such "insurrection" at the bud, in short HK as a whole will be burned by the monkey acts of those idiots, because we "need to respect their freedom of speech".
    You got the link? I just wanna watch the action. And I think that "debate" is just so stupid to begin with because it's apparent that neither sides are "rational and objective" people.

  14. #14
    MwRYum's Avatar
    MwRYum is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,018

    Re: ¦^��: Re: training exercise HK Oct 2012-combined force

    Quote Originally Posted by airsuperiority View Post
    You got the link? I just wanna watch the action. And I think that "debate" is just so stupid to begin with because it's apparent that neither sides are "rational and objective" people.
    If you can listen to Cantonese you can try this:
    ׾

    But for those who don't:
    Tempers flare over independence spat - The Standard
    Tempers flare over independence spat

    Emotions ran high in Victoria Park yesterday as speakers at City Forum debated whether an independence movement is on the rise in Hong Kong.

    Winnie Chong

    Monday, October 29, 2012

    Emotions ran high in Victoria Park yesterday as speakers at City Forum debated whether an independence movement is on the rise in Hong Kong.

    Anger was particularly directed at two people who claimed Beijing was interfering in Hong Kong affairs - activist Chan Chi-chun and political analyst Johnny Lau Yui-siu.

    One man was seen spitting in the direction of Chan while another hurled a water bottle at Lau. The strong feelings were rife among others in the audience, with scuffling and insults traded.

    Members of a group called Loving Hong Kong Power, saying they are totally opposed to any move toward independence, tried to rush onto the stage but were stopped by security guards.

    The issue was sparked by a warning against a rise in pro-independence feeling from former Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office deputy director Chen Zuo'er.

    Lau said the warning is unnecessary as most people understand Hong Kong cannot survive if it tries to go it alone. But he said Beijing, rather than creating an independence bogeyman, should focus on improving its connection with the public.

    Chan, who recently organized a march to the central government liaison office, rebuffed suggestions he has been calling for independence, saying his protest was only to decry excessive intervention in Hong Kong affairs, especially in the chief executive election and educational issues.

    Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference member Lew Mon-hung said while a person can criticize the government over its policies, he or she cannot refuse to recognize the country.

    "Similarly, while one can be dissatisfied with the Communist Party, he or she cannot deny being a Chinese," he added.
    And some of those "separatist movement groups" Facebook groups, take a look if you can endure their utmost stupidity...fortunately, mostly in Chinese...
    https://www.facebook.com/britishnational
    https://www.facebook.com/wearehongkongese

    The "insurgent":
    https://www.facebook.com/Mr.DannyChan
    Last edited by MwRYum; 10-30-2012 at 03:58 AM.

  15. #15
    aquauant is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    103

    Re: ¦^��: Re: training exercise HK Oct 2012-combined force

    I myself would not give too much thought on the separatism or secession movement. Most of population in HK are 1st or 2nd generation mainlanders. Unlike Tibetan or Uighurs, we (over 97%) are culturally and racially the same . During holidays, more than a million hkers visit or return home in mainland. Yes, a lot of westerners like to amplify the differences or arguments between hkers and mainlanders. 10 years ago, the western media even predicted Guangdong would secede. They always choose to neglect the less vocal silent majority of both. I believe we have the same more than we have differences.

    Separatists always exist since colonial time. Not much is heard about it because it is so obscure that most dont know it. I myself did not hear about it until the news talks about it. Now I know they even have a website. I think most hkers are as ignorant about this as myself. Most just want to make ends meet.

    I think the central government is smarter than are given credit for. I am sure the officials are disappointed that some hoists union flag during protest. But I dont think the exercise is a warning to the hk public about separatism. This kind of exercises happens every year and are scheduled long beforehand. In colonial time, they practiced even more in fact. Internal security exercise is to train for protecting civilians against internal turmoil. It could be armed bandits, violent riots, infiltration, terrorists and of course insurgents from various sources not just local separatists but others. I think the news media chose to portrait the exercise as such for sensationalism.
    Last edited by aquauant; 10-29-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Maritime Cooperation 2012 joint Chinese & Russian naval training
    By bd popeye in forum World Military Pictures
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-29-2013, 09:44 PM
  2. Air Force Monthly August 2012
    By asif iqbal in forum Air Force
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 03:58 AM
  3. Exercise Joint Warrior
    By zoom in forum World Armed Forces
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2010, 09:10 PM
  4. Replies: 122
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 09:39 PM
  5. China's Air Force Intensifies Training
    By MIGleader in forum Air Force
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2006, 06:10 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •